Listen to the Podcast:
Watch the Video:
Oil: The Hidden Assassin:
Why We Need Fat:
Fat is a superfood!
- Cholesterol is required for every single function in every single cell in the human body
- The brain is mostly fat.
- 90% of the brain is made up of the essential Omega 3 Fatty Acid DHA
- 50% of the membrane of every neuron in your brain is made up of DHA
- The only “harmful” fats in the human diet are man-man fats. Also known as Trans-fats.
- I call them Franked-Fats.
- All fat that exists in nature is good for you and serves a biological purpose.
- Sugar and refined carbs—not fat—are responsible for the epidemic of obesity and poor health in America.
- Refined carbs play a role in Everything from Type 2 Diabetes to Cancer and Heart disease.
Your Cells Are Made of Fat!:
"The quality of your cells are directly correlated with the quality of the fats you ingest.”
How Bad Are They... Really?!:
A study done at Harvard in 1993 demonstrated a strong link between partially hydrogenated oils and heart attack risk. The conclusion: "replacing just 2% of energy from trans-fats with healthy unsaturated fat would decrease the risk of coronary heart disease by about one-third." In layman's terms - get your monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats from whole foods such as meat, fish, avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds. A study from Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center found: “Diets rich in trans-fats cause a redistribution of fat tissue into the abdomen and lead to higher body weight even when the total dietary calories are controlled.” In layman's terms - even if your caloric intake is identical, if you're eating trans-fats, you will gain more body fat! A strong link also exists between trans-fats and cancer, for women specifically… A study done on trans-fats and colon cancer showed that post-menopausal women had a “two-fold increase in the risk of developing colon cancer from high levels of trans-fatty acids in the diet.” Another study in the American Journal of Epidemiology showed “the risk of breast cancer was doubled in women having higher serum levels of trans-fatty acids."It simply cannot be overstated how damaging these trans-fats are to human beings!
Where Do They Hide?:I titled this episode "Oil: The Hidden Assassin" because hydrogenated oils are now hidden in just about every packaged food product in every grocery store in America. You'll find them hidden in...
- Baked goods - especially, crackers, cookies, cakes, snack foods like chips, and microwave popcorn
- Frozen Meals - like pizza and TV dinners
- Fake Cooking Butters/ Oils/ Spreads - like Crisco, Pam spray, fake butter spreads, and margarine,
- Fake Dairy Products - such as Coffee Creamer and pre-made frostings
- Fast Food
- Salad Dressings - Be particularly careful when buying dressings advertised as "Avocado Oil" or "Olive Oil." Always check the ingredients! More often than not, the #1 ingredient will still be a hydrogenated oil, even though the marketing says otherwise!!